To Everyone Raising Children
What is a Nursery School?
Nursery schools are child welfare facilities that care for children in place of guardians who cannot care for them at home due to work, sickness, or other circumstances.
Eligibility for nursery school
Children in Sendai City from households which fulfill the following reasons for childcare need.（Although age requirements vary slightly by school, generally children are eligible for nursery school from four months of age up until they enter elementary school.）
- The child’s guardians work 64 hours or more per month. (Self-employment, night shift, working from home, etc.) ※If on childcare leave, the child’s guardian must resume work within two months from the day they start using a nursery school.
- The child’s mother is pregnant or has just given birth and cannot care for the child’s siblings.
- The child’s guardians become ill, are injured, or have mental or physical disabilities.
- The child’s guardians are caring for or nursing other family members at home. (64 hours or more per month.)
- The family is burdened after being struck by a disaster such as an earthquake, storm, flood, or fire.
- The child’s guardians are seeking employment.
- The child’s guardians are attending school for 64 or more hours per month (studying or occupational training which requires a commute).
- Other situations such as the above that result in the inability to care for a child. ※In order to use a nursery school, one of the above 1-8 needs for childcare need to apply, and the child’s guardians must obtain a Certification of Need for Childcare (Class 2 or Class 3)
※Volunteer activities, subsistence farming, neighborhood association officer, etc. do not count as worked hours.
※If you are returning to your hometown to deliver your baby and wish to enroll your child in nursery school in another municipality, please inquire at the Home Health Section of your local Ward Office or at the Health and Welfare Section of the Miyagi General Branch Office.
Priority Enrollment Criteria
In the event that there are more applications than places available,
to what extent childcare is required and the household situation will be used as an index based on a defined standard,
with children who possess a higher index being given priority when coordinating and determining the use of nursery schools.
In general, households in which both parents work and single-parent households with long working hours are given high priority, while those with short working hours or those seeking employment are given low priority. In addition, the family’s economic situation, available support, etc. are considered in order to objectively determine which families have the greatest overall need.
For details, please refer to page 6-8 on the “ Childcare Facility Usage Guide ” on the URL below.
Nursery School Hours
Public nursery schools (excludes publicly-owned, privately-run nursery schools)
Regular hours: 7:15 a.m.-6:15 p.m.
Extended hours: 6:15 a.m.-7:15 p.m.（excluding Saturdays）
※Hours for private nurseries vary by facility.
Nursery School Fees
In principal, nursery school fees are determined based on the combined local inhabitant taxes on a per income basis of the child’s parents.• Following enrollment in nursery school，monthly fees must be paid by bank transfer.
• If you make use of extended hours，a separate fee will be charged.
Application for Enrollment
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis at the Home Health Section of the Ward Office that has jurisdiction over your first-choice nursery school or at the Health and Welfare Section of the Miyagi General Branch Office.
However, there is a specific application period for enrollment on April 1st of each year. (The schedule is announced each year in the October issue of the Sendai City Newsletter.)
Confirmation of Enrollment
Children in the greatest need of care will be admitted to the spaces available.
However, please be aware that you may not be able to enroll your child in your preferred nursery school due to the number of applications(in this case, when there are opeings in the future, children in the greatest need of care will be admitted.)
Documents Necessary for Application
Documents 1-5 below are necessary to apply.
- Application Form for Using Childcare Facilities and Services / Application Form for Obtaining the Certification of Need for Childcare
- Household Circumstances Application
- My Number (individual number) Form
- Documents which prove a need for child care
(Certificate of Employment or statement for proving your job searching condition, etc.)
- Documents to determine enrollment adjustment and childcare fees
(Inhabitant Tax (exemption) Certificate, etc.)
※The forms for documents 1-4 can be found on the URL below.
※In addition, documents may be needed depending on the circumstances of a single parent household.
Details can be found on pages 3-4 of the Application Form for “ Using Childcare Facilities and Services / Application Form for Obtaining the Certification of Need for Childcare ” .
- Where should I apply to enroll my child in nursery school?
- Apply to the Home Health Section of the Ward Office that has jurisdiction over your first-choice nursery school or to the Health and Welfare Section of Miyagi General Branch Office.
- Is my child guaranteed a place at nursery school?
- If there are no places available at your preferred nursery school, there is no guarantee that your child will eventually be admitted. Also, when there are multiple applications, children in the greatest need of care are given priority.
- I am currently looking for work. Can I apply for nursery school?
- Yes. However, the period of Childcare Certification lasts until the end of the month after either 90 days or 3 months from the start of Certification, whichever is shorter.
- I am working part-time. Can I apply for nursery school?
- Yes, if you are working for 64 or more hours per month.
- Are nursery school fees different for public and private nursery schools?
- No, they are the same. Even if you enroll your child in a private nursery school, you will pay fees to the City of Sendai.
- How much are monthly nursery school fees?
- Fees differ depending on the guardian’s local inhabitant taxes on a per income basis, the child’s age, and other circumstances.
Details can be found on the “User Fees Table” , or by making an inquiry to the Home Health Section of any Ward Office or to the Health and Welfare Section of the Miyagi General Branch Office.