In Regards to Mask Use (As of March 13, 2023)／マスクを つけるときの 考（かんが）えかた （2023年（ねん） ３月（がつ） 13日（にち）～）
As the result of review in Japanese government policy, as of March 13, 2023, the use of masks as a COVID-19 countermeasure will no longer be a general requirement, but will largely depend on personal choice.
Please be mindful of the following when you are deciding whether to wear a mask or not.
【Situations where mask use is recommended】
● When visiting a medical institution
● When visiting a medical institution or elderly care facility, etc. where many people at risk of developing more severe symptoms (elderly, persons with pre-existing medical conditions, pregnant persons, etc.) are hospitalized or live
● When onboard a crowded train or the bus （※）, such as during rush hour (for the time being)
※Excluding when the majority of passengers can be seated
● Masks are effective for people who are at risk of developing more severe symptoms (elderly, persons with pre-existing medical conditions, pregnant persons, etc.) who are visiting crowded places when there is an outbreak of COVID-19 infections.
＜If you have symptoms of COVID-19＞
● To prevent the spread of COVID-19 infections, please refrain from leaving your home if you have symptoms of COVID-19, tested positive for COVID-19, or live in the same household as someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
● If you have to leave your home, such as to go to the hospital, please avoid crowds and wear a mask.
＜In the case of medical institutions and elderly care facilities＞
● Use of masks is recommended during work hours for those who work at medical institutions or elderly care facilities, etc., where people such as elderly persons who are at risk of developing more severe symptoms are hospitalized or live.
＜If there is a spread of COVID-19 infections＞
● In the event of a major outbreak, stricter COVID-19 countermeasures may be temporarily enforced, such as the widespread request for the appropriate use of masks depending on the situation.
＜In the case of businesses＞
● According to the Japanese government, the use of masks is dependent on personal choice. However, it is permissible for a business to require users or employees to wear masks as infection countermeasure or for business reasons, etc.
＜Basic COVID-19 countermeasures＞
● Please continue to avoid the 3Cs (closed spaces, crowded places, close-contact settings) and carry on maintaining social distancing, hand hygiene via handwashing and disinfecting, and ventilation.